Back to "HIIT" after a long break

A HIIT workout should be very intense. You go all out for brief period (e.g. 20 seconds), slow down (e.g. for 20 seconds) and start again until exhausted. 

Nowadays, HIIT is interpreted in many ways. Most HIIT sessions do not involve highly intense exercise and hence they can run for half an hour or more. 

A few days ago, I called up about being a HIIT trainer. (Well not really HIIT - the session lasts for an hour with warm-ups, cool-downs, so about 40 minutes!!)

There was some concern about whether I was fit enough.

I have not done HIIT for a while. So I thought I would do a series of intense exercises to see if I could last 40 minutes. I did not use a timer but used repetitions.

Here is the exercise routine:

  • 40 jumping jacks
  • 40 plank jacks
  • 10 pushups
  • 20x24kg single arm kettlebell rows (10 x LH and 10 x RH)

Repeat with minimal rest between exercises.

I repeated this routine 6 times in 30 minutes.

Is this HIIT? Not really but it certainly more intense that what is normally performed.

Am I ready? I would prefer to be able to exercise continuously without feeling exhausted. I also need to push myself to 20 pushups.

Am I fit? Not sure - but the gym attendant walked by and said "Respect". That is good enough for me.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lifting above the shoulders

Workout: Swings, snatches and double long cycles

(Tabata) timers and note taking apps to enhance resistance training