Writing about my fitness journey

About this blog...

I thought that I would start writing about my continued fitness journey.

I am now in my 60s and staying fit AND strong are important elements of my continued health.

I include in blog, descriptions of my workouts and discussions on the scientific basis of exercise and fitness.

I do have a Youtube channel showing some of my work outs (which to be honest, take a long time to prepare). However, Youtube videos take a long time to prepare and my videos are somewhat amatuerish.


A bit about me

I am a lecturer at an educational institute. I have a diverse educational and work background with qualifications in Biotechnology, Environmental Engineering, Management and Workplace Safety and Health. 

I have a background in both engineering and science, and I teach everything from bioprocessing, to microbiology, to chemical safety and risk management and chemical engineering. 

I am also past my retirement age but have been re-employed continue to teach.

My health and fitness background

As part of my teaching portfolio, I develop and deliver training courses for adult learners. One area in which I provide training is in the area of health and fitness. I am also a qualified Personal Fitness Trainer and a Senior Fitness Trainer and Assessor.

I also have a life science background, which helps me read scientific papers and I do indeed keep up to date with evidence based research in the area health and fitness.

My exercise routine

Like many, health and fitness has been a journey. From jogging and swimming in my younger days to weight lifting as I grew older. In my senior years, I find that kettlebell workouts, are most suitable. I do however still include calisthenics, including pull-ups, pushups as well as more vigorous cardio exercises.   

Where I exercise

I exercise in a gym when I can. Here I can use heavier kettlebells (16 to 28 kg) as well as make use of treadmills and barbell racks and benches for dumbbell exercises, when I am in the mood.

If not, I will exercise in fitness corners with my 16 kg kettlebell, resistance bands and body weigh exercises.

My exercise routine

I do try to exercise at least 6 days per week, for at least an hour. I also try to walk at least 10,000 steps, although of late, work from home makes this difficult.

I try not to do too many different exercises per workout, typically no more than 5, more often 3-4.

I also do not exercise to failure. My workplace safety and health background tells me not to do this. Fatigue causes injury. 

I believe in progressive overload, but that progression must be moderated by a risk approach which says that increasing the weight can increase the damage to the body and thus the key word is "progression". Be patient and have a plan.

Well that is about it for now  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lifting above the shoulders

Workout: Swings, snatches and double long cycles

(Tabata) timers and note taking apps to enhance resistance training