Getting up to speed

I do not run or jog all that much - maybe once every two months, if that.

It is simply an exercise that I do not enjoy. 

I prefer exercises, where my two feet are securely on the ground and there is less stress on my knees. I do walk a lot, targeting 10,000 steps a day.

But there are some times, when I get the running bug, and want to run.

Here is my typical running workout on a treadmill.

  • Walk 400 m at 6 km/h
  • Run 300 m at 6.5 km/h and then walk 100 m at 6 km/h
  • Run 300 m at 6.7 km/h and then walk 100 m at 6 km/h
  • Run 300 m at 7.0 km/h and then walk 100 m at 6 km/h
  • Jog 300 m at 7.1 km/h and then walk 100 m at 6 km/h
  • Jog 300 m at 7.2 km/h and then walk 100 m at 6 km/h

Repeat, by increasing the running speed until I reach 9 km/h

Cool down and stop and stretch.

This is an example where a treadmill comes in handy. You have control over your running speed and the distance.

If you are more accustomed to running, you could run faster (e.g. start at 8 km/h), walk less (e.g. walk for 50 m) or walk faster (e.g. 6.5 km/h).

As always, monitor your heart rate to ensure that your workout is giving you the exercise you need and is also not endangering your health.

Consult your medical professional if you have health issues.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lifting above the shoulders

Workout: Swings, snatches and double long cycles

(Tabata) timers and note taking apps to enhance resistance training