Lift and place exercises

Back injuries due to unsafe lifting practices are common in workplaces where persons have to move objects between different elevations (up and down).

Learning how to lift with your legs and your glutes, with support from your upper back, shoulders and arms will help reduce the risk of an injury.

Squats and deadlifting with weights have been suggested as exercises that one can do to strengthen the your posterior chain muscles, while teaching good lifting technique.

Kettlebell lifts

In these videos, I am demonstrating 3 deadlifting workouts using a kettlebell. To raise the kettlebell further, I use my legs, hips and upper body to gently jerk the kettlebell to the height of the platform.

Note how the kettlebell stays in line with my centre of gravity. 

I am pushing through with my heels and then push hips forward by extending my glutes. My back remains straight and abs tight. 

When returning the weight to the ground, I push my hips back to keep by back straight. The kettlebell stays in line with my centre of gravity.

 The grip required for a kettlebell is very different to that required to be used by people in their everyday life. Also, the kettlebell does not stay close to my body (as I would in a goblet squat). I will make another set of videos.

However, with practice, these exercises should provide you with skills required for safe lifting.  

I am using a 24 kg kettlebell. Untrained seniors (and indeed most untrained persons) should not attempt to lift more than 20 kg. So you should modify the weight, according to your level of fitness. If necessary, do consult a medical professional before starting any vigorous physical activity.  


Lift and place. 

In this first exercise, you pick up and lift a kettlebell with deadlift form and place it on an elevated surface. Return to the ground and repeat. 

https://youtu.be/UAPSNrREq04


Lift, turn and place

In this exercise, you lift and then move your feet to turn and then place the kettlebell on an elevated surface. Return the kettlebell.


https://youtu.be/EunnMSfGbS0


Lift, rotate and place

For this exercise, instead of moving your feet, you rotate your torso to place the kettlebell on an elevated surface. 



https://youtu.be/GTWAOr7__Gs



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lifting above the shoulders

Workout: Swings, snatches and double long cycles

(Tabata) timers and note taking apps to enhance resistance training